We discussed in my previous article “What has your jewellery got to do with your wellness?”, the Indian Vedic religion and science are inseparable! The basis of the Vedic religion is a philosophy which aims at achieving the ultimate goal of happiness, peace and harmony for us human beings.
The rituals & traditions that we’ve been following are the means of achieving these goals. These rituals and traditions in the form of day to day activities, festivals, prayers, mantras, chants & jewellery are all linked to science. Of all these traditions, one such tradition is of the prayers, chants or mantras. These have descended generations to generations not only through texts but also by ‘Shruti’ i.e., listening.
Vedic religion is constituted with many mantras, which hold age old knowledge of philosophies, psychologies, science etc. These sanskrit Mantras are not just a rhyme or composition of words to praise some Lord, there is much more to it which is deeply connected to the wellbeing of human beings.
Vedic philosophy perceived the whole existence as reverberations of energy, different levels of vibrations and the modern sciences & metaphysics also is cognizant to the same concept.Chanting of mantras is a combination of sound, breath and rhythm that helps you to channelize your energy. The power of mantra can be easily understood in the roots of the sanskrit word ‘man’ meaning mind and ‘tra’ meaning deliverance, or, projection.
The most powerful mantra, the ‘OM’ when chanted, vibrates at the frequency of 432 Hz, which is the same vibrational frequency found throughout everything in nature. This helps our bodily vibrations resonate with the universal energies, leading to physical and mental wellbeing.
The mantras have both psychological and physiological effects on your body. Here are few ways chanting can improve your mental and physical health.
- Reduces Stress, Anxiety and Depression : By combining sound, breath and rhythm, mantra meditation channels the flow of energy through the mind-body circuit. Thus by balancing the nervous system, chanting regulates the chronic stress and tension which is common in today’s hyper-stimulated lifestyle. And by balancing the endocrine system, chanting normalizes hormone production, which balances our moods and overall sense of well-being. This helps beat stress, anxiety & depression. Regular chanting helps to reverse the damage done by constant stress on your body.
- Boosts Immunity: Hypothalamus is the control tower of the brain. It establishes & controls the communication between the nervous system and the endocrine system, taking in information from the entire body, before transmitting outward again, via chemical messengers. The hypothalamus controls the reflex functions like temperature, metabolism and nervous system, as well as pituitary secretion, affecting everything from mood to appetite to sleep. Through chanting when breath is set to sound, the positive effects on the parasympathetic nervous system are multiplied and the healing response is triggered and it all translates into healing and stronger immunity.
- Helps to calm the mind: The certain vibrating sounds of the mantras helps in stimulating the hormones that calms the mind and relaxes your body. It also helps you to concentrate and thereby works as a tranquiliser for your mind.
- Vedic mantras help in balancing the chakras: Chanting helps to stimulate the body chakras through repetition of ‘Bijaksharas’ i.e syllables. These chakras are also known as the energy centres of the body which represent different bodily systems. Invigorating these energy centres helps in the smooth functioning of different body organs and systems.
- Mantras help in increasing Concentration & Memory: According to a research people who chanted mantras had better concentration and learning power. Because when you chant the resultant vibration activates your neurons which are responsible for concentration and memory.
- Mantras help for a healthy heart: Chanting a mantra drastically calms the person and slows down the breathing process, which helps to regularise your heart beat and keep your heart healthy.
- Chanting Mantras increases radiance: The vibrations also fuel the vital points on your face that helps to improve the blood circulation and get rid of toxins. The breathing pattern of chanting helps to oxygenate your skin, making it look younger and glowing.
- Helps cure asthma to some extent : You breathe in deep and hold breath while chanting, which helps strengthen your lungs and help in better breathing.
Reach out to me on email@example.com if you need more answers about your Wellness & your daily dose of health regimes or visit us at www.pravaahwellness.com & leave a message here at Pravaah