Our body, similar to the universe is made up from the five elements or Pancha Tattva.
- अग्नी (Fire)
- वायू (Air)
- आकाश (Sky)
- जल (Water)
The five fingers of each hand represent these Five elements.
- It is seen that every finger attracts energies from the tattva it represents when any two fingers are connected, the energy force is trigged like a spark when 2 changed wires come together, and this develops a spulrge of respective tattva energies.
- Sometimes the balance of these five elements in bodies is disturbed due to varied reasons related to our lifestyles and health issues. In order to bring back the balance in the five elements, the specific Hast-Mudras’ are an easy and doable therapy. It canpracticed anytime as an augmented relief from pains as well as a handy tool for restoring your wellness.
Following are simple Mudras.
1. Gyan/Dhyan Mudra (Mudra of Knowledge)
Join the tipsof the thumb and index finger together. The other 3 fingers to be kept straight. Benefits:
- A. It helps in meditation and concentration.
- B. It reduces negativity of the mind
- C. It improves memory and with regular practice students can improve grades and intelligence
- D. It aids in alleviating headache, insomnia and hypertension.
- E. It reduces anger.
2. Vayu Mudra or Mudra of Air
Touch the tip of the index to the base of the thumb and the thumb comes over the finger with a slight pressure of the thumb being exerted.
Rest of the fingers remain straight.
- A. By the practice of this mudra, all vayu,that is, gas (air) related affections, like Arthritis, Gout, Sciatica, Knee pain, and Gas are relieved.
- B. It especially benefits in neck pain and spinal pain.
3. Shoonya Mudra or The Mudra of Emptiness
The tip of the middle finger is put at the base of the thumb and the thumb comes over the finger with slight pressure of the thumb being exerted on the finger.
The other 3 fingers to be kept straight.
- A. Regular practice of this Mudra helps in reducing ear pain and watering of the ears
- B. If this Mudra is done for 1 hour daily it can benefit in hardness of hearing
- C. The bones become strong & helps in osteoporosis.
- D. It is beneficial in heart disease.
- E. It strengthens gums and reduces pyria.
- F. It is helpful in throat problems and thyroid disease.
4. Prithvi Mudra or the Mudra of Earth
Join the tips of the thumb and the ring finger together.
The other fingers to be kept straight.
- A. Regular practice of this Mudra is helpful in body weakness, thin-ness and obesity.
- B. It improves the functioning of the digestive system and reduces the deficiency of vitamins .
- C. It gives energy and lustre to the body.
5. Prana Mudra or the Mudra of Life
Join the tips of the thumb, ring finger and the little finger.
The other 2 fingers to be kept straight.
- A. It awakens the dormant power of prana, gives energy, health.
- B. It is beneficial in diseases of the eye and improves eyesight.
- C. It raises body resistance to disease, reduces deficiency of vitamins, removes tiredness.
- D. During fasting it reduces hunger pangs and thirst.
- E. In insomnia, doing this hand posture, along with Gyan Mudra, helps in bringing on sleep.
6. Apaan Mudra or the Mudra of Digestion
Join the tips of the thumb, the middle finger and the ring finger.
Other fingers to be kept straight.
- A. Toxins are removed from the body and the body becomes pure.
- B. It relieves constipation, piles, diseases caused by vayu or air.
- C. It is helpful in diabetes, stoppage of urine, kidney defects.
- D. It is helpful in dental problems.
- E. It is beneficial in stomach and heart diseases and brings out perspiration.
7. Apaan Vayu Mudra or the Mudra of Heart.
This Mudra is a combination of Vayu Mudra and Apan Mudra.
Join the tips of the thumbs, the middle finger and the ring finger while the index finger touches the base of the thumb with a slight pressure. The little finger to be kept straight.
It gives the benefit of Apaan Mudra and Vayu Mudra as explained earlier.
- A. It is helpful in Heart and Vayu diseases and gives health. People with a weak heart should do it daily. It is very beneficial for people who have suffered a heart attack in the recent past.
- B. It removes gas from the stomach.
- C. It aids in asthma.
- D. Helps reduce headache.
- E. Controls high blood pressure
- F. If it is performed 5 to 7 minutes before climbing stairs, it aids in easy climbing.
8. Surya Mudra or Mudra of the Sun
Touch the tip of the ring finger to the base of the thumb and exerting pressure on the finger with the thumb.
Remaining fingers to be kept straight.
- A. It balances the body, reduces body weight and obesity.
- B. It increases body heat and helps in digestion
- C. It reduces hypertension and cholesterol and builds strength
- D. It is beneficial in diabetes.
- E. It helps reduce liver defects
Weak persons should not perform this hand posture and DO NOT do this hand posture for a long time in hot weather.
9. Varun Mudra or Mudra of Water
Join the tips of the thumb and the little finger.
Remaining all fingers to be kept straight.
- A. It reduces dryness of the skin and improves skin lustre and softness
- B. It is useful in skin diseases, acne and blood defects. It improves facial beauty
Persons suffering from Asthma and respiratory problems should do this Mudra for a short duration only.
10. Ling Mudra or the Mudra of Heat
Clasp all fingers of both hands together keeping your right thumb erect. Put a little pressure and sit relaxed. Practice it for 20-30 minutes every day.
- A. This mudra increases heat in the body and can cause sweating even in winter if done for a long time
- B. It helps in cold, coryza, asthma, cough, sinus problems and low blood pressure
- C. It dries phlegm
When doing this Mudra please increase intake of water, fruit, fruit juices, clarified butter (Ghee) and milk.